Kids & Parents Traditional Karate Classes
*For ages 7 and up, if below the age of 7 there must be a parent or guardian training alongside them.
Traditional Karate training is a fun way for children to develop confidence, health and fitness as well as mental focus. Traditional Karate teaches self-discipline and socialization skills. Many parents whose children train in the martial arts find that their children’s self-control, concentration and confidence are greatly improved through Karate training.
One unique aspect of the kids classes at the Vancouver Dojo is that parents are welcome to train alongside their children. A typical hour-long class begins and ends with a bow to the teacher, or Sensei. After a warm-up, students practice the art’s particular skills, which may include kicks, punches, and blocks.
Each technique requires concentration and strict attention. Progress is often marked by the belt system, which takes the beginner from a white belt through a variety of colours until black. This is a good exercise in setting and achieving goals. It often carries over into school and home helping to improve behavior and grades.
Physical Benefits include:
- Improved reflexes and coordination
- Increased performance in all physical activities
- Increased strength and stamina
- Increased flexibility and weight control for better overall fitness
- Cardiovascular workouts (heart an lungs)
- Improved balance
- Ability to defend yourself
Mental Benefits include:
- Improved concentration for better work and study habits
- Stress reduction and the ability to relax
- Confidence in knowing how to deal with bullies and other confrontations
- A positive attitude toward life through self-confidence, self-discipline and a healthy lifestyle
- Self-esteem and improved outlook on life
- Respect for yourself and those around you
- Motivation and an ‘I Can Do It’ attitude
At the Kitsilano Dojo 2668 West Broadway are Tuesdays and Thursdays 5:00-6:00pm and Saturdays 2:00-3:00pm. *Beginning in September there will be a new Kids/Parents Karate class Saturdays 10:00-11:00am . Beginners are always welcome.
The first week of training is always free!
For a deeper explanation of what the Vancouver Dojo believes traditional Karate training for kids is all about read the Blog article titled; "Teaching Kids Karate" here.
For a list of Kata practiced at the Vancouver Dojo Please Click Here